May 12, 2012

Penultimate Post

After 250 posts (including the official last post) and 3200+ hits from 18 countries on this little web project of mine, I am pleased saddened to give you my penultimate post.

A last minute change in my schedule mean that I would be heading up to Philly to surprise my family at my cousin's graduation.  Before my mom and I headed across the state we decided to hit up the Carnegie Science Museum which was something on my PGH bucket list; between fun hands on, dare I say educational, activities and a HUGE miniature train set how could you go wrong? Also as a disclaimer, I am also a huge fan of science museums. 

As soon as we walked in the door we were greeted by a water table which was displaying Bernoulli's principle.   Long story short this principle is what allows a person to balance a light ball on the top of a stream of water.


From there we made our way through each of the floors, with the second being the highlight.  The miniature train room was pretty impressive, boasting four seasons and timed day and night portions with the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.  All of the homes/buildings were handcrafted and based off historically accurate buildings of Western PA.
"The Miniature Railroad & Village® features hundreds of wonderfully realistic animated scenes that illustrate how people lived, worked, and played in our region during an era spanning the 1880s to the late 1930s. "



Old Forbes Field
Mr. Roger's house (while not a real house in PGH, definitely a notable one)




With a working roller coaster
 Last stop on the tour was the USS Requin (named after a sand shark).  



No comments:

Post a Comment