November 06, 2015

Detour to Bedford, PA

On my many trips between Pittsburgh and DC I have always seen signs for Bedford, PA.  Every time I get in the car I tell myself that this will be the day I check out the town and visit the World's Largest Coffee Pot.

Downtown, measuring only a few square blocks, is filled with antiques, small businesses and historic signs describing the town's 260 year history.  While I did not ride my horse into town, I parked my car in front of a hitching post and wandered around for an hour.  It was a good way to stretch my legs, grab some coffee and do a little window shopping.


The next stop of the morning was the largest coffee pot in the world.  Built in 1927, this highway landmark is located along the Lincoln Highway and originally served as a place where drivers could get a cup of coffee and a tank of gas before heading out of town.  The structure was moved in 1990 across the street and refurbished in 2004.


I hopped in the car and before I got back on the highway, I made a quick turn into Old Bedford Village.  The area, once inhabited by a Monogahela village, is now an archaeological site which allows people to step back into the 18th century.  For people who visit when the site is open, they can see 36 different workshops and talk with live reenactors.  I will have to come back next year to get the full experience



No comments:

Post a Comment