September 25, 2011

Three River Trail Tour

The weather has been GREAT the past few days.  While fall has not kicked in in full force, I am not complaining about the 70 degree, non humid weather.

The Pittsburgh area has several biking trails including the Great Allegheny Passage which stretches from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, MD.  The end of the trail links up with the C&O path which will take riders all the way to DC  I have decided over the next few months I am going to bike the whole trail in sections.  I am still trying to rope myself some biking friends, but worst comes to worse you can take the journey with me through some pictures. 

As I was following the Three River Trail this afternoon I came across several jems including the Mr. Rogers Statue outside Hines Stadium (he was all decked out for this afternoon's game). 


Similar to the Einstein Statue in DC, people are encouraged to climb all over Mr. Rogers. 

I also came across the Fort Pitt Block House located in Point State Park. 



The fort played an important role not only during in French & Indian War and the American Revolution, but also in the birth of Pittsburgh.  The above picture of the block house is the only structure that remains; it is the oldest building in Pittsburgh, as well as the oldes building west of the Allegheny Mountains. 

The house was originally used as a cover during an attack and was later converted into housing until being given to the Daughters of the American Revolution.  

No comments:

Post a Comment