October 16, 2011

Ben and Jerry's ... Don't Mind If I Do!

Within moments of touching down in Burlington International Airport (I guess it is international because they do flights to Canada?) the parentals and I headed off to take the Official Ben and Jerry's Tour. 

We pulled up and to the factory and everyone and their mother was there!  As we walked to the entrance, let me tell you people Fall pretty much smacked me in the face.  Crisp breeze, leaves crunching under my feet, the smell of fall.  I guess you can take the girl out of New England, but you can’t take the New England out of the girl. 

See what I mean.  In the words of Ina Garten “How good does that look?”

Papadukes and I are now the Official, Unofficial New Faces of Ben and Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  Eat your hearts out!!  That pun was intentional. 

As we were waiting for our tour of the factory to begin, I went in search of the great Flavor Graveyard.  I walked up the path and stumbled upon said graveyard complete with headstones and everything.  They really should have played up the fall, haunted graveyard aspect, but that is for another day. 


People, it was a sad day when I came to discover that Coffee, Coffee BuzzBuzzBuzz was retired.  I also found it intriguing that there was a Woopie Pie flavor (these things have been popping up all over the place the last few weeks).  


Ben and Jerry's has lead the way in corporate responsibility; they currently work off three mission statements which focus on social, product and economic issues.  One of the bigger campaigns the company has recently taken on is in regards to GMOs.  Also they have decided that by 2013 all of their ingredients in their ice cream will be Fair Trade, meaning that not only are the ingredients produced in a sustainable fashion, the farmers and laborers of those ingredients are also treated fairly and paid a decent wage.

Both men are still active advocates for a variety of charities and social issues.  Ben Cohen can frequently be found on the Hill discussing the US Federal Budget through an exercise that utilizes Oreo Cookies.  For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about check out the quick and dirty video:



No comments:

Post a Comment