October 12, 2011

How To Buy Organic On a Budget

Many of you dear readers (mainly those that receive a bi-weekly AmeriCorps stipend and/or are on a strict spending freeze) work off a weekly budget.  With the constant bombardment of eating healthier many of us on limited funds find it hard to balance nutritional value with getting the most bang for our buck. 

The Kitchn (one of my MOST FAVORITE BLOGS) recently posted an article with tips on how to buy organic on a budget.

Now most of you are probably thinking, "Emily, how are you planning on buying organic when you currently qualify for food stamps)."  Too true amigo (more on my food stamp debacle later on).  As the article has said I have tried to shop at my local farmers market and farmers stand; yes there is a difference.*  And the great thing is that several of these locations will actually take EBT!!  Another trick I picked up is that if you go right before the market ends, you can usually talk some of the prices down.  You might have to get a bit more creative with your meals, but it is definitely worth if.


I have also started to integrate more legumes into my diet to supplement some protein.  Buying and cooking in bulk has never been a problem.  The FLAVE household will attest to how I would freeze months worth of meals at at time. 

So after 6 weeks I can say that I have started to feel a lot better.  I can function bound out of bed in the morning and function without an large Americano or cup(s) of coffee.  Similarly I can attest that I do have more energy - all those food/exercise blogs actually know what they are talking about.  This will become exceedingly important as I rev up for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon in May - Who's with me?!?!?!

Bottom line, if you are willing to put in some extra prep time, it looks like eating more healthfully is within our grasp.  Once and a while splurge on something crazy (grass fed beef? some artisan cheese).  Don't have a farmers market near by or have no clue what to buy and how to cook seasonally?  You should look into a CSA program.  Not only will you get a farm to door step delivery, but many times they will include recipes in your box of goodies.  Sadly I missed the window for the one here in PGH, but maybe something to look forward to in the spring!

The more careful we are now about what we eat, the fewer health complications (and more money) we will have in the long run.  Ok I will now hop off my soap box and make lunch for tomorrow.  Said PB&J and veggies and hummus will be carried in my super cool artichoke lunch box (thanks mamadukes!)


*Unlike Farmers' Markets where the farmer comes to the market to sell, an organization goes to the farmers and purchases produce and then delivers it to the Farmers Stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment