October 31, 2011

Gallivanting In DC

This post will be a bit nonsensical and totally unrelated to anything AmeriCorps, service and/or Pittsburgh.  That is because I got to spend some QT with my first and true city love, DC.  What made it better was that I got to spend some time on a bike.

As most of you who live on the East Coast know we got hit by a freak snow storm on Saturday afternoon.  With my roommates still in bed (my internal clock now wakes me promptly at 7:30 every morning for better or worse) I decided what better way to continue my mini-vacation than to take a trip down the road to Big Bear Cafe for a lox bagel.  I have yet to find a decent bagel since I have gotten to PGH, let alone a place that would serve me up a NYC brunch favorite.  What better way to start a Saturday than with a cup of coffee, said lox bagel and my latest book, The Life You Can Save


Alex graciously allowed me to borrow Mr. Reinold Featherbottom III Sunday morning for a quick spin to Eastern Market - a much loved area of DC.  They have lots of amazing row houses and sculpture work like this woman below.  How cool is that with the shadow of the statue on the house?


Most of the vendors were setting up shop when I arrived at 8:30 (I forgot that they officially open until 10) so I decided to head down to my very first SECRET coffee shop in DC.  Now for those of you who do not know of my love of secret coffee shops it all started my sophomore year.  While I enjoyed doing work in the Gelman Starbucks, I was always running into people and of course would get to talking.  Before I knew it an hour would pass and I would be no closer to finishing a paper or accomplishing any kind of studying.  As a result it was imperative to find a secret coffee shop.  Thankfully I was given a GORGEOUS Bianchi and was able to make the commute to Eastern Market and my secret coffee shop with relative ease.  Anyway I had to abandon Peregrine because this little coffee shop grew in popularity and there were days that I would treck all the way out to discover that there was no room to work.

Anywhoo - I stopped by for a skim mocha (delish) and was totally and completely impressed with my morning's latte art.  This hands down was the best one I had ever seen and thus its picture made it into today's posting.

Final stop on the tour ...
A quick trip to the Bloomingdale Farmers Market who even took my EBT card!  

1 comment:

  1. Leaving Peregrine is the reason I'm sad I left the Hill.

    ReplyDelete