December 11, 2011

National Aviary

Usually when you hear the word national before any kind of museum or zoo, you would think Washington, DC (maybe it is just me), so i was intrigued to learn that the National Aviary was located just a short walk away from my house.  In keeping with my one touristy thing a weekend, I figured what better way to spend a morning than to walk around with some birds. 

While I do not have a fear of birds, it was a bit unnerving at times to have them flying inches from your face, especially with some of the bigger ones. 

After walking by the Bald and Sea Eagles the first stop was the Grasslands which had more than a dozen different kinds of birds from grassland and savannah habitats.  The first thing I saw was a warning sign:


There were two African Grey Parrots hanging out - both were bread in captivity here at the National Aviary in 2001.  This species of bird is also one of the best mimics in the world and can repeat other animal sounds in the forest and human speech as well.  


I walked through a set of double doors and found the wetlands.  I almost fell over when they had a whole (min) flock of American Flamingos or fandingos as I used to call them when I was a kid (I used to be obsessed with them).  As a fun fact, flamingos are not indigenous to the United States.  The ones that people see in Florida are escapees with some coming from Yucatán Peninsula and others coming from Cuba.  


Then off to the Rain Forest where I was greeted by two Victoria Crowned Pigeons.  Thankfully they have been around humans enough that they sat in the middle of the sidewalk and didn't move as I tried to pass them.  These birds commemorates Queen Victoria and while the word pigeon is in their name, they can become as large as turkeys.  


Hyacinth Macaw and a Green-winged Macaw.  Both are considered to be very threatened species.


The best part was probably Penguin Point.  This indoor/outdoor exhibition lets you get up close and personal with some African Penguins.  While I was a bit too old, there are dome bubbles that allow you to pop up and see the penguins in their habitat.  Not going to be in PGH for a while?  Have no fear because you can check them out on the World Wide Web.  


All in all it gave me something to do, but was not worth the admission feel that I paid for.  Hopefully I will have better luck with the zoo/aquarium in a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment