March 19, 2012

Small World

On Monday morning, one of my fellow SUS'ians (that would be one of the SUPER cool people I am biking across the country with) posted an article over on her blog about a project that Candy Chang (artist, designer, and urban planner) has started in NOLA.  An abandoned home in the Lower 9th Ward has been converted into a community project in which homes are converted into chalkboards and people are encouraged to finish the statement Before I die I want to ...
As Chang describes it, "Before I Die transforms neglected spaces into constructive ones where we can learn the hopes and aspirations of the people around us."
Well you could push me over with a feather when I saw the same project here on the North Side on my way to work.   Apparently Candy has been putting together packages that allow other towns and cities to start the same project in their community.  What happens once the spots are filled?  A picture is taken and the spots are wiped away to allow others to share their hops and dreams. 

I snapped a few quick pictures on my way to clinic ... I am excited for next Monday so I can read what people have left (and maybe post something too)



No comments:

Post a Comment