November 20, 2011

Heinze History Center

Today was the day folks, the day to play tourist, so I headed over to the Heinze History Center.  As you can see from the picture it is one of the 168 museums in 39 states, as well as Panama and Puerto Rico museums which is associated with the Smithsonian Institution.  While the ticket was not free, my GW ID got me a good price.

As I headed off to begin the tour, I noticed a sign for the Smart Steps program. The museum created an exhibition in their six floor stair well.  Walls are covered with pictures, health statistics and fun facts about Pittsburgh history.  If you climb all the steps and punch your card at each door you are awarded with with a Heinz pickle pin (I received said pin - no worries). 

Like several cities around the country, Pittsburgh has a variety of dinosaur statues painted by local artists which are later auctioned with all proceeds going to the Carnegie Museums.  There were two statues located in the museum.


George Washasarus in the French and Indian War
Pittsburgh Through the Ages
Mr. Rogers
Star of one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE movies An American In Paris, Gene Kelly

Also I had no idea about all the famous people and things who came out of Pittsburgh.  Like who knew the Ferris Wheel was the brain child of George W. Ferris, a PGH bridge builder.  The planners of the 1893 World's Fair were looking for something to rival the Eiffel Tower. 



Other great examples:
Anyway you get the picture.  For a quick and dirty, seven minute video click here.  Pretty Cool!!


No comments:

Post a Comment